An attorney is a professional person authorized to practice law, conduct lawsuits or give legal advice. In the United States, the basic distinction of law is into two sectors, criminal and civil. These two divisions are further subdivided into various other fields in which one can practice. Some of the common types of attorneys in the United States are:
- Criminal defense attorneys: A criminal defense attorney will represent a person who has been reportedly accused of breaking the law. Right from murder, to cyber crimes, to traffic violation, each of these cases is handled by the same. Whatever be the severity of the crime, a criminal defense attorney has to be involved for the case.
- Family law attorneys: These are those who deal with all the laws relating to family matters. A family law attorney must have the complete details of the family’s history that he is representing. Cases relating to divorce, adoption and guardianship, custody rights are dealt with by such a person.
- Estate attorneys: Estate planning attorneys are those who advise their clients on wills and transfer of wealth and property from the previous generation the next. Charities and donations are also taken care of by estate attorneys. They help their clients to plan for their families as per their requirements and benefits.
- Personal injury attorneys: When a particular person gets injured on account of negligence by any other party, it is known as a personal injury. Personal injury attorneys deal with cases of car accidents, workers compensation, airplane crashes and so on.
- Bankruptcy attorneys: Bankruptcy is a situation when any individual or firm files to relieve itself of its debts. Bankruptcy attorneys assist their clients in filing for bankruptcy. They advise their clients about the kind of bankruptcy they should file. The two types of bankruptcy are chapter 7 and chapter 13.
- Business attorneys: If a business is sued, then the services of a business attorney are called for. They will help their clients in drafting all their legal documents and advise them on all the steps they ought to take in the given situation. They have to make sure that their clients are not in any legal trouble
- Civil rights attorney: Such an attorney has to defend the written rights granted to all the citizens of the United States. Some of these rights are the freedom to speech, freedom of the press, freedom to vote, freedom of assembly, freedom form slavery, etc.
- Immigration attorney: An immigration attorney is one who provides his services to such people who would like to be citizens of the United States. Many regulations and legal formalities have to be followed before one can become a citizen. Such a person takes care of the same.
- Intellectual property attorneys: These are also known as entertainment or patent attorneys and trademark lawyers. They specialize in many different areas like entertainment laws of transaction, or technological information of the United States.
So if you are planning to take up this profession seriously, check the field you would like, do your research and then decide which field would suit you the best. All the best!